The Rat Boy

This was a fun one! Another piece for Uarts alumni event called The Final Crit (the group I'm part of with a bunch of other Uarts illustration grads and students) This was a bit more up my ally than the pokemon piece and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I was inspired by these old photos of child mugshots from the 1800's but since the prompt was to "draw something of a hellish nature" I wanted to make it a bit creepier. Hopefully I succeeded.


________________________________________________

Since it's been a while since I've made a post showing the various stages of my work
 I thought I'd do that as well.

This is the Thumbnail.  As you can see there is no rat present.
I very rarely add something major to a piece if I didn't include it in the thumbnail
but this was an exception.

This is the sketch. I light boxed a large print out of the thumbnail onto plain printer paper.
At sketch stage i find it useful to use lower quality paper so that I don't get too precious with the drawing.



This is the final drawing before color. It's pencil on smooth finish bristol.


Final Piece

Comments